In today’s fast-paced world, mobile banking has become a popular way to manage finances. One of the most common tasks people carry out on mobile banking apps is depositing checks.
But the question is, how long does it take to deposit a check on a mobile app? Let’s find out.
What is Mobile Check Deposit?
Mobile check deposit is a feature that allows users to deposit checks using their smartphone or tablet. Instead of physically going to the bank or an ATM, users can simply take a picture of the front and back of the check and submit it through their banking app.
How Long Does it Take to Deposit a Check on Mobile App?
The time it takes for your deposited check to clear and become available in your account through mobile banking varies based on several factors.
1. Bank’s Processing Time: The first factor that affects how long it takes for a deposited check to clear is your bank’s processing time. Each bank has its own processing time, which can range from one business day to several business days.
2. Amount Deposited: The amount deposited also plays a significant role in how long it takes for a check to clear. Typically, checks under $200 are processed quickly, while larger amounts may take longer.
3. Account History: Your account history may also affect how long it takes for your check to clear through mobile banking. If you’re a new customer or if you’ve had issues with overdrafts or bounced checks in the past, your bank may hold your funds for an extended period before clearing them.
The Typical Timeline for Mobile Check Deposits
- Day 1: You submit your deposit before your bank’s cutoff time (usually around 5 pm local time) on a business day.
- Day 2: Your bank processes the deposit and verifies the check.
- Day 3: The funds become available in your account, assuming there are no issues with the deposit.
It’s important to note that this timeline may vary based on the factors mentioned earlier.
Tips for Faster Mobile Check Deposits
- Endorse Your Check Properly: Make sure to endorse your check before taking a picture of it. This includes signing the back of the check and including “For Mobile Deposit Only” underneath your signature.
- Avoid Mistakes: When taking a picture of your check, make sure it’s clear and legible.
Avoid blurry or dark images, as they may get rejected by your bank.
- Check Your Account Frequently: Once you’ve deposited a check through mobile banking, make sure to keep an eye on your account to ensure it clears properly. If there are any issues, contact your bank right away.
In conclusion, mobile check deposits can take anywhere from one to three business days to clear and become available in your account. However, this timeline may vary based on factors such as bank processing time, amount deposited, and account history. By following some simple tips like endorsing your check properly and avoiding mistakes while taking pictures of checks, you can speed up the process.