If you’re considering a career in computer software engineering in California, you might be wondering how much you can expect to make. Salaries for this profession can vary widely depending on a number of factors, including your level of experience, the specific industry you work in, and the location of your employer. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of these factors to give you a better idea of what kind of salary you can expect as a computer software engineer in California.
Factors Affecting Salary
Before we dive into specific salary figures, it’s important to understand some of the factors that can affect how much you make as a computer software engineer. Some of the most important factors include:
- Experience: As with many professions, more experience generally translates into higher salaries for computer software engineers.
- Industry: The industry you work in can also have a big impact on your salary. For example, computer software engineers who work in the finance or healthcare industries may make more than those who work in retail or government.
- Location: Finally, where you work geographically can also play a role in determining your salary. California is known for having one of the highest costs of living in the country, so it’s no surprise that salaries for computer software engineers tend to be higher here than in other parts of the country.
Average Salary for Computer Software Engineers in California
According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), as of May 2020, the mean annual wage for computer software engineers in California was $127,950. This figure is significantly higher than the national average for this profession, which was $114,000 during the same time period.
Salary by Industry
As we mentioned earlier, the industry you work in can have a big impact on your salary as a computer software engineer. Here’s a breakdown of average salaries by industry in California:
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services: $144,630
- Software Publishers: $142,220
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services: $137,790
- Finance and Insurance: $135,850
- Manufacturing: $121,240
Salary by Location
Where you work within California can also play a role in determining your salary as a computer software engineer. Here are the average salaries for this profession in some of California’s largest cities:
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward: $145,760
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara: $144,270
- San Diego-Carlsbad: $115,560
- Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade: $108,690
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario: $104,410
While there are many factors that can affect how much you make as a computer software engineer in California, it’s clear that this is a highly lucrative profession. With average salaries well above the national average and plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement within the industry, becoming a computer software engineer in California can be an excellent career choice for those with the right skills and education.