Have you ever been lost in a mobile app and had trouble finding your way back to where you started? Breadcrumbs might just be the solution you need!
Breadcrumbs are a navigational aid that helps users keep track of their location within an app. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what breadcrumbs are and how they can be beneficial for mobile app users.
What Are Breadcrumbs?
Breadcrumbs are a secondary navigation system that displays the user’s current location in relation to the rest of the app’s hierarchy. They typically appear near the top of the screen and provide links to previous screens or sections of the app. The term “breadcrumbs” comes from the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale, where breadcrumbs were used to leave a trail back home.
Why Are Breadcrumbs Important?
Breadcrumbs can be incredibly useful for mobile app users because they help them understand where they are within an app’s structure. This is especially important in apps with deep hierarchies or complex navigation systems. By providing a visual representation of their location, breadcrumbs can help users avoid getting lost or disoriented within an app.
Types of Breadcrumbs
There are two main types of breadcrumbs: path-based and attribute-based.
- Path-based breadcrumbs show the user’s location based on the hierarchical path they’ve taken through the app. For example, if a user starts on the home screen, then navigates to a category page, then selects a product from that category, the path-based breadcrumb would show “Home > Category > Product”.
- Attribute-based breadcrumbs show the user’s location based on specific attributes or filters they’ve applied to their search. For example, if a user is browsing products by color and has selected “blue”, an attribute-based breadcrumb would show “Home > Products > Blue”.
Benefits of Breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs can provide several benefits for mobile app users:
- Improved navigation: Breadcrumbs make it easier for users to navigate through an app’s hierarchy, reducing the likelihood of getting lost or disoriented.
- Time-saving: Breadcrumbs allow users to quickly jump back to a previous screen or section without having to retrace their steps.
- Increased engagement: By providing a clear sense of location within an app, breadcrumbs can help users feel more confident and engaged with the content.
Breadcrumbs are a powerful navigational aid that can help mobile app users keep track of their location within an app’s hierarchy. Whether it’s path-based or attribute-based, breadcrumbs provide a visual representation of the user’s location and allow them to quickly jump back to previous screens or sections. By using breadcrumbs in your mobile app, you can improve navigation, save time, and increase user engagement.