Computer software is an essential component that runs on any computer system. It is the set of programs, procedures, and instructions that tell a computer what to do and how to do it.
In other words, it is the bridge between the user and the hardware of the system. But what exactly do we call this software? Let’s explore!
What is Computer Software?
To put it simply, computer software refers to a collection of instructions that are executed by the computer’s hardware. It includes all kinds of programs such as operating systems, device drivers, applications, and games.
There are two types of software: System Software and Application Software.
System Software refers to the core programs that manage and operate the computer system. This includes operating systems such as Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS etc. These systems control basic functions such as file management, memory allocation, security settings etc.
Application Software refers to programs designed for specific tasks or purposes such as word processors like Microsoft Word or Google Docs; photo editors like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP; video editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro; and many more.
What Is Computer Software Called?
In general terms, computer software is simply called “software”. However, there are many different types of software that have their own specific names depending on their intended use or function.
Here are some common types of software:
1. Freeware: Freeware refers to software that is available for free without any cost. Examples include VLC Media Player or Audacity.
2. Shareware: Shareware refers to software that can be used for free during a trial period after which you need to pay for continued use. Examples include WinZip or WinRAR.
3. Open-Source: Open-source software is available for free use and its source code can be modified by anyone who wishes to do so. Examples include Linux or Firefox.
4. Proprietary Software: Proprietary software is owned by a company and cannot be modified or distributed without permission. Examples include Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Suite.
5. Firmware: Firmware is a type of software that is embedded in hardware devices such as printers, routers or cameras.
In conclusion, computer software is an essential component of any computer system. It helps us to interact with the hardware and perform specific tasks. While generally referred to as “software”, there are many specific types of software that have their own names depending on their intended use or function.
Understanding the different types of software can help you choose the right type for your needs, whether you’re looking for free options like freeware and open-source, or proprietary solutions like Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Suite. The world of software is constantly evolving, so stay informed and keep exploring!