Bird watching is a popular hobby enjoyed by millions of people around the world. Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner, identifying bird songs can be quite challenging.
Luckily, there are several bird song identification apps available that can help you identify birds by their unique sounds. In this article, we will explore some of the best free bird song identification apps.
What Is a Bird Song Identification App?
A bird song identification app is a software application that uses artificial intelligence to recognize and identify bird songs. These apps use machine learning algorithms to analyze recordings of bird songs and match them with a database of known bird species.
How Do Bird Song Identification Apps Work?
Most bird song identification apps work in a similar way. First, you record the sound of the bird using your smartphone’s microphone.
Then, the app analyzes the recording and compares it to its database of known bird species. The app will then display a list of possible matches along with information about each species.
Best Free Bird Song Identification Apps
Here are some of the best free bird song identification apps that you can download today:
1. Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab
Merlin Bird ID is one of the most popular and accurate bird song identification apps available today.
Developed by Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Merlin uses AI to identify birds by their songs or calls. The app covers more than 4,000 species worldwide, making it an excellent tool for identifying birds anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use interface.
- Covers over 4,000 species worldwide.
- Includes detailed information about each species.
- Requires an internet connection to work.
- Not as accurate as some paid apps.
- Open-source project.
- Covers around 1,000 species of birds from Europe and North America.
- No internet connection required.
- The app is still in development, so it may not be as accurate as some other apps.
- The user interface could be more intuitive.
- The database can be downloaded for offline use.
- The app includes detailed information about each species, including photos and range maps.
- Song Sleuth also includes a spectrogram display of the bird’s song or call, which can be helpful for more advanced users.
- The app only covers around 200 species of birds from North America, which may not be enough for some users.
- The user interface can be a bit confusing for beginners.
BirdNET is an open-source bird song identification app that uses machine learning to recognize bird songs.
The app currently covers around 1,000 species of birds from Europe and North America, but the developers are constantly adding new species to the database.
3. Song Sleuth
Song Sleuth is a popular bird song identification app that uses machine learning to identify birds by their songs and calls. The app covers around 200 species of birds from North America and can work offline once the database is downloaded.
Bird song identification apps are a great tool for birders of all levels. While there are several paid options available, these three free apps offer accurate identification and useful information about bird species. So whether you are a beginner or an experienced birder, download one of these apps and start exploring the wonderful world of birding!